Tuesday, March 15, 2011

To refrigerate tea or not

I was reading an interesting conversation about refrigerating tea in a group I joined in LinkedIn.  Before reading this the only tea I knew that should be refrigerated was matcha tea and maybe higher grade Japanese green  teas.  The reasoning for not refrigerating the tea is because of the moisture and the worry that the tea may not be in a sealed container.  If you do put tea in the refrigerator you should make sure that the tea is in a vacuum sealed container/bag.   Another reason to put tea in the refrigerator is if you live in a humid climate because of the moisture or an area where temperatures and humidity fluctuate a lot.  This is interesting to me because I want to serve tea to others or myself that gives the optimal taste and experience from the tea.  I guess the only other thing  that I can control over the tea I buy is making sure the water, steeping time and water temperature are correct.  Oh yeah and the type of vessel I use for heating the tea too.   One more thing, the dance I do while heating the water is very important and underrated.....

No comments:

Post a Comment