Thursday, June 9, 2011

Sugar, ah no honey honey/You are my cupcake girl

Last Friday I met with Kelly Peloza  and she gave me two samples of her cupcakes and two chai cookies dipped in chocolate to see if I would sell them at my tea house.  She specializes in vegan cupcakes and does some other baked goods.  The cupcakes were a rose water lemonade and a salted caramel.  They were both delicious, but I really liked the rose water lemonade one.  The cupcake portion was light, moist and tasted just like a regular cupcake.  I have had some vegan treats before and some of them tasted totally different then non-vegan ones.  Was not a big fan of the frosting for either cupcake, but I am the person who eats cake that has the least frosting or scraps it off.  So if you like frosting that would not be the reason for not eating her cupcakes or dissuade people from buying her goods. The frosting did not taste off, but was too sugary for me.  The cupcakes were beautifully decorated, but the strawberry on the rosewater lemonade one was a little too old for adding as a garnish for the cupcake (it would be fine for making a strawberry sauce, jam or even in baked goods).  The chai cookie was decent and the chocolate it was dipped in was great.  I am a big fan of dark chocolate.

I really like that she is experimenting with different flavors and said she may let me try some other flavors.  Her dream is to one day open a vegan bakery and think she is well on her way.  She has a couple books already published and wants to start selling her goods to area businesses.  Any issues I have with her bakery is either personal taste or minor things, so I am using her.  Kelly is still in college, so I know that one day she will achieve her dream and think any minor issues will be resolved.

Oh sorry for the mangled Archie lyrics, well kinda.

No comments:

Post a Comment